Re: CULT: Bearded iris myths
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Bearded iris myths
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 07:49:55 -0500 (EST)

Is there a chapter, or partial chapter, on hybridizing myths?  Some people
seem to think that you have to seal the stigmatic lip after placing pollen
behind it. (Not) Others state that one grain of pollen produces the entire
pod.

Another myth--if a pod gets broken off you have to throw it away because it's
not mature.   I've seedlings growing in my garden that came from pods that
rotted off after three weeks.  It produced many full term seedlings.

<<I'm working on a book on bearded irises>>

Many things are done due to habit rather than necessity.

Betty Wilkerson
Bridge In Time Iris Garden
Zone 6