Re: CULT: Bearded iris myths
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Bearded iris myths
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:01:17 -0500 (EST)

I thought I'd heard everything through the years, but not this one.  Back in
the late eighties, a couple of rhizomes were accidentally left in a bed and
tilled in.  They bloomed the next spring and when they were dug it turned out
one was something like five inches deep.

<<My favorite myth is that the backs of the rhizomes need to be exposed, or
the
ris won't flower.>>

The iris rhizome has the ability to adjust itself with the surface of the
soil.  Those long "elephant trunks" appear when an iris is extending itself to
reach the surface.  At least this is how it works in my area.

Betty Wilkerson
Bridge In Time Iris Garden