Answers to Kelly's Question
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Answers to Kelly's Question
  • From: "Robert & Linda Karr" <rlkarr@povn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 17:31:28 -0800

We agree with Christy and a number of the rest of the members of list: the most common question is 'why did my iris turn (yellow, blue, white). Also, why didn't my iris bloom? After questioning the person, we discover that iris were planted and never divided for more than 10 to 20 years, or rhizomes, only they call them bulbs, were planted like dahlias--deep, or the person planted in full shade. Also comments about iris never growing--and the person plants in November. Here in our cold Zone 4 NE WA climate, we find that rhizomes not planted by Labor Day probably will not survive. Usually, the person doesn't listen to the explanation or gives us a look--'I don't think you know what you are talking about.' Hum...we grow successfully 3000 varieties of iris in most classes.

Linda Karr
NE WA State--about 10 miles E of Christy Hensler

The all-time most common question heard here is "why did all my (fill in the
blank) colored irises turn white (or purple)"?

Christy