RE: Re: CULT: Bearded iris myths
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: Re: CULT: Bearded iris myths
  • From: "Kelly D. Norris" <kellydn@frontiernet.net>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 19:25:41 -0600

Hi Linda,

posting the dialogue in the chapters that follows each of these questions.
Certainly, I'm not trying to suggest that all bearded irises will do well in
all places (in fact quite the opposite--we too easily accept in the hort
industry that by default "all plants shall grow well in all places" by
decree).  What I am trying to do, encouragingly, is put aside the notion
that bearded irises are difficult plants to grow (for the majority of
gardeners in this country) while being completely honest about the facts you
address--regional selection and regional cultural information being
paramount.

The fact that you and others in your part of the world, after careful
selection and good cultivation, can grow (and even hybridize!) bearded
irises supports the point I'm trying to make--gardening with bearded irises,
just like any other plant, requires a sound knowledge of cultural facts and
the cultivars you choose to grow.  This 'myths' chapter comes just after the
introduction and sets the tone for how I write about the art, love, and
science of bearded irises in the rest of the book.

--kdn

Horticulturally,

Kelly D. Norris
Farm Manager, Rainbow Iris Farm
Editor, Irises: The Bulletin of the American Iris Society
Bedford & Ames, IA
Zone 4b/5a
Read my blog at: http://www.kellydnorris.com