HYB:seedlings:criteria
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: HYB:seedlings:criteria
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:08:31 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

While we wait for the ice storm to hit, maybe we can have some fun?

In the spring we will, collectively, have a lot of seedlings to plant.  How
will you handle this situation?  Do you plant all of these seedlings, or does
your seedling selectivity start at this point?

Since I am, primarily, breeding for rebloomers, I pay a lot of attention to
the seedlings at this stage.  In 2007, I planted some of the 2006 seedlings.
There were a couple that really stuck out due to strength and root growth.
One was a Decadence seedling (2128-01) and the other was an Arctic Fox
seedling (2102-04).  Each contained one of my reblooming seedlings as the pod
parent.  Both of these seedlings have continued to be very strong and
productive.  They are tall well branched and give a good stalk to fan ration.
Both have good form, but nothing spectacular.  Oh, they also increase better
than others in their respective crosses.

Ponder this--This spring, you have 50 seedlings from one cross.  Do you plant
all 50 and wait for them to bloom?  How do you make your reselect choices?

Share your process!

Betty W.
Bridge In Time Iris Garden
Zone 6  . . . is the storm hiting SOUTH of me?