Re: HYB:seedlings:criteria
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB:seedlings:criteria
  • From: Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:57:54 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I do have the most seeds this year than I have room for to be sure. The most I've ever had.  I will make space somehow and cram them all in wherever there is a space even though it goes against my tidy (or trying to be) "Garden Plan".

First the very weakest ones just simply will not get planted.  There is usually at least one or two that have been weaker from the start and despite my coddling and extra fertilizing are still weak.  I'm not talking about small, just not putting out leaves like the others.  They could be smaller than the rest because they are dwarfs.  I like those that do pop up.  If you are not interested in those then toss them as well.

I usually plant the seedlings about 4 inches apart.  This way if ones dies not alot of space is wasted. This also plays into later selection when I cull seedlings based on foliage characteristics (no blooms yet). Once bloom has occured on the majority of the cross I'l decide to keep the best of those.  If some have not bloomed yet (by the second Spring bloom) I cull the non-bloomers based on foliage, growth clump arrangement. If the whole cross was rather disappointing I might just toss the non-bloomers never seeing a bloom.

Paul Archer
Indianapolis, IN