Re: Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:44:59 -0500

 Thanks for the information.

As expected 50% result would be 5.5? out of 11. I'm not sure if 8/11 is
significant statistically, but still interesting.

I'm assuming both spring and fall bloom dor these seedlings and not just
maiden bloom in fall. Confirmation?

HoM used to bloom regularly for me, but at new place it has just not
performed. Just a little bit colder.

Genetically? it would seem both Renowen and HoM are Fall cyclic.? Renowen?
would seem to be a? FC here.

The FC? condition is? basically a dominant trait, but? not a straight one gene
condition.? The genes? come from I aphylla. Basically I. aphylla is a? dormant
plant. It goes dormant, aparently a photoperiod triger. As it goes dormant ,
it lacks? the need? for vernalization to prevent? fall bloom. This lack of
vernalization? seems to be a dominant trait. The dormant gene may be a
recessive. But in any case when aphylla non-dormant gene is? present without?
dormancy gene functioning, you can get rebloom. If you have more then one
dosage of? the non-vernalization gene you can get more then 50%? of rebloomers
in first generation. This may be the situation with HoM.? May also be an
incompatibility of? photoperiod of dormancy trigger and photoperiod of? bloom
trigger, resulting in blooming being triggered before dormancy triggered. This
sems to be situation with MDB rebloomer Velvet Toy. A first generation aphylla
hybrid. It can fall bloom at same time leaves have been triggered into
dormancy.

I suspect that? a cross of FC X FC doesn't? produces any more rebloomers then
a cross of oncers X FC.? But? FC? may need the? Facilitative vernalization?
gene to fuction as a rebloomer.

More research needed, as always.

Chuck Chapman