Re; HYB: rebloom genetics
  • Subject: Re; HYB: rebloom genetics
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:37:49 -0500

It's too early to say for sure what kind of rebloom, partly because of youth of seedlings, partly because of 2010's weather. All of the seedlings that maiden bloomed 2009 also at least tried to bloom fall 2010. I think some of the cross maiden bloomed spring 2010, but am not sure. And it's possible there might be one or two delayed germinants out there that maiden bloomed this fall. I plant delayed germinants in spaces left by non-survivors, & there definitely were some that didn't survive.

I found one yesterday, when I went out to count them, with a frozen stalk that I had missed earlier, raising the count of fall bloom from 7 to 8.

Hard to say for sure what the ratios are with such small numbers and deaths.

I can check to see how many were lined out, but my guess is it was around 15, so if all the dead were oncers, that would put the ratio pretty close to 50%.

 <I'm assuming both spring and fall bloom dor these seedlings and not just
maiden bloom in fall. Confirmation?>

Based on what I've heard about aphylla & branching, I can believe that a lot of the rebloomers that do well here have a strong dose of aphylla.

But some of them are strong "summer" bloomers here (Aug = summer here, Oct = cycle) - IMM (maybe not IMM, but seems to produce quite a bit of aphylla branching in seedlings), BELVI QUEEN, SUMMER WHITEWINGS. Those are summer not cycle here.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7