Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
  • Subject: Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:04:31 -0500

Thanks Chuck.

Can you think of any instances where a dominant gene in multiple doses has some kind of amplifying effect? In other words where it has the opposite effect of being lethal? I guess it wouldn't be considered a true dominant in that case.

Any thoughts on the chemistry of what's going on when the cycle gene is off? Is any of that chemistry reversible, or could it be speeded up by an extra gene set? Ok, this is getting way off the track - sorry.

It's just frustrating trying to interpret results since rebloom here is so dependent on year to year seasonal weather variations as well as general climate, so that even "dominant" genes can't be seen half the time (or more, or less). Seems like a plant should have a hard time figuring out how to grow at all with four sets of genes that don't agree with each other. ;-)

Interesting example about the fish - does the color gene cause death or is it another gene linked with it?

<I don't know of any situation of where a dominant gene is no longer
functioning when it is in multiple dosages, unless it is a lethal gene in
multiple dosages. Those exist, and the plant or animal just dies. One example
of this is black Siamese fighting fish. Males with two dosages of black gene
Perhaps someone else knows of a situation where a dominant gene is turned off
in multiple dosages, but I can't think of any off hand.>

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7
getting a little cabin fever crazy!