Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
  • Subject: Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:47:05 -0500

   Genes act by producing enzymes and proteins that have further effects. So
more of a biological chemical, can result in increased effect.

 Such as multiple dosages of dominant amoena? resulting in narrower bands of

 Also you have the need for multiple dosage of dominant reduction of
anthocyanin gene ("I") to reduce amount of anthocyanin, when Ae is present. As
witness purple iris? , almost always, when crossing a purple aphylla x any TB
cultivar with I gene.

 As to need for vernalization being turned off, it would bassically seem that
the venalization genes? are recessive and need to be in compatible? sets. So
what chemical is being produced in this situation, may be in the research,
but? it never registed with? me as I didn't seem to have any importance.
Basically, what is happening is that the? bloom repressor is being turned off.
A double negative, so to speak.

 The fatalility of the black gene in Siamese fighting fish seems to be related
to? the sex genes, x & y.

 With all rebloomers, you need bud set, in order to get rebloom. without this,
the genetics are not able to function.

 Keeping track of your temperatures is a good idea. Look for min temp in
15-20C range( 59-70F aprox) for 6 nights in row after plant reeaches

 Until you get this, you are unable to evaluate rebloom potential. Isuspect
that we could get some cultivars that may be triggered with either fewer days
or? temperatures outside this range. Finding these would be a real step
forward. Bu you won't find them unles you can identify them. You can only fo
that if? you keep track of temperatures and bloom.

 Chuck Chapman

 It would apear that Queen Dorathy? is one that falls outside this criteria. I
have had it rebloom with 3 days in temperature range, but it may have
responded to a lower temperature.