Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:15:31 -0500

Yes, documentation would certainly help :-(

We get temperatures in that range [15-20C range( 59-70F aprox) for 6 nights in row] off and on most of the summer, & with our long growing season, fans can easily reach maturity in the summer. More on the high end of that temp range, but most summers not many nights above ~70o here. So far.

Here, it seems to work the opposite way for some rebloomers. Over the years, I've noticed that it takes at least a few nights below ~50oF to trigger "summer"/early fall bloom here, ~6 weeks later. Usually get a week of that in August. Not this year until Oct! And very little rebloom.

The "true" early spring/late fall cycle rebloomers seem to have more of a daylength trigger than an obvious cool temperature trigger. They bloom so late, it's nearly always cool by then. Not this year tho.

"summer"/early fall bloom is delayed till they've had some cool weather, seems independent of daylength, other than correlation of temperature & daylength.

Plus available soil moisture is a factor that I haven't tracked very well - gravel soil is quick to release moisture, but also dries out fast, so it may be an interaction of the cooler temperatures and moisture availability, which in turn is affected strongly here by rooting depth (hence how long the plant has been in place, regardless of fan maturity).

<Keeping track of your temperatures is a good idea. Look for min temp in
15-20C range( 59-70F aprox) for 6 nights in row after plant reaches
maturity.>

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7