Re: HYB: delayed germinants
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: delayed germinants
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:26:01 -0500

Hi Jill - it may just be random, but they've usually been weak. And there are so few of them (compared to first and 2nd year germinants), it mostly isn't worth the time/space/trouble of keeping track of them.

Of course, if it's a cross that had few seeds and it's something I especially want (or think I want), I have kept a few. But I sure don't want to be selecting for seedlings that take 3 or 4 winters to germinate! ;-) I think the slowest germinant I've planted was a 5th yr seedling from IMM X DUSKY GRAPE. The cross has potential, but it's been practically infertile... but hope never dies, so I went ahead and planted it last year. Maybe it will be "the one" LOL ;-)

<Maybe I should know this already, but why aren't the 3rd and 4th year plants
worth planting?  Are they weak? Duplicates of prior plantings? both?
Jill Gibson
NW Missouri
Zone 5>

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7