RE: Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
  • Subject: RE: Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
  • From: "Steve Szabo" <steve@familyszabo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:41:32 -0500

Black fish. I'd need to look at the betta blacks for more information, but
other species who produce blacks tend to be shorter lived than their more
colorful siblings or cousins (black can and does breed true). Black fish
need a diet that is higher in protein than their more colorful relatives of
the same species. Depending on their natural diet, this can be hard to
supply, if you even know the need for it.

Black fish also tend to get cancer at a much higher frequency than one would
expect, based on knowledge of the species involved to produce the black;
sometimes one species sometimes two or more were originally used. For
example, one variety of black molly had three species involved to develop
the rich black that it has.

Black fish also have a tendency to a higher rate of fish tuberculosis.

Black fish also tend to need higher temperatures than their relatives to do
well, though many seem to lack the vigor of their cousins of the same
species to one degree or another.

So, there you have it, more than you wanted to know about black fish.

There is one important fact you need to keep in mind about genetics that I
learned from Neil Morgensen before he wandered off to tend that iris bed in
the sky. It is very difficult to take lessons learned in animal genetics and
apply them to iris genetics and it is the same going the other way. We did
have some long discussions about this on and offlist.