Re; HYB: rebloom genetics
  • Subject: Re; HYB: rebloom genetics
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:19:10 -0500

Re: multiple dosage of dominant genes

The examples (in irises) that I could think of where multiple doses of dominant genes do something different (i.e., I(s)) than a single dose (and the one you mention for Petunia?) would effect different stages of development of particular cells in a flower - i.e., the cells that differentiate to form the rims vs those that develop the center of the petal etc.

I haven't been able to understand how that could work - it's almost as if one copy of the gene does one thing (inhibits or induces pigment chemical changes while those particular cells are forming) while the other copy "rests', then when it's finished, & some other cells are developing & forming pigments, the other copy starts working.

Or if all those petal cells are at the same (temporal) stage of development and the genes are activated simultaneously, how are different cells affected by the "same" gene?

So what I was wondering about is how the multiple doses of cycle dominants would work and what that could do, which cells are affected, and at what stage of development. Plus I confess I still get a little mixed up about the various mechanisms that are being turned off and on by the genes you are proposing as dominant vs recessive (not to mention the ones you aren't as sure about yet) - plus all the question marks that are showing up in your archived posts lately make it a little harder to figure out what you are saying. I need a visualization of it all. Schematic. Any engineers/system modelers out there want to try to make one to post?

The power went off for a couple of hours right in the middle of this message composition, so I lost whatever other train of thought there might have been ;-)

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7
31oF and climbing, with SUN, and NO snow showers! Hoping "they" are wrong about freezing rain/sleet coming soon.