Re; HYB: rebloom genetics
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re; HYB: rebloom genetics
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:48:25 -0500

 The petunia article has an explination of its effect. But can't recall it
right now. It is a very famous study, and is posted on several websites. I
have a copy buried somewhere on my computer. I'll need to look it up.

Another example is the effects of glaciata and luminata genes on each other.?
There will be sceptics and? potestors here. So be it. Much thought has gone
into this.

Consider? plicata locus with only luminata genes and? glaciata genes. No
regular plicata genes.

Now Luminata phenotype, as we know it is? a? mixed gene? or hyterozygous
condition. Long assumed to be a? genotype. It is? a mix of glaciata genes and
luminanta genes.?? Luminata X luminata? usually gives some glaciata (not
always) seedlings. Mostly it is a genotype? consisting of three glaciata genes
and one luminata gene.? Sometimes it is? two of each.? Now it has been asumed
that? the luminata gene is putting anthocyanin into central part of petal,
between the veins.? But my perception is that? it is increasing dosages of
glaciata gene pushing? anthocyanin away from? the veins. A reverse
perception.(Such as, is a zebra black with white stripes or white with black
stripes)? Glaciata and luminanta are? partially dominant to each other. Three
luminata and one glaciata gene is the zonal plicata factor. Adding each
glaciata gene pushes more anthocyanin out. At three dosages of? glaciata we
have typical phenotype? "luminanta" pattern.

Having said that , the question? that remains, "What does a flower look like
that has four sets of luminata genes?"? I'm not the only one looking at this
and thinking this way. Ther are now a few others looking.

I noticed some of my posts have the "?" in them.? I use "US" keyboard here.
Computer offers me "Canadian " keyboard as an option, but that does very wierd
stuff. But? if a computer is trying to translate my message as having a
"Canadian" keyboard, as I'm in Canada, then the wierd? stuff creeps back in.
Nothing I can do from this end. Perhaps something can be done at archive
level.

The dormancy gene seems to be a recessive. Growth factors need to be turned?
off. In absence of dormancy (or deciduous gene as some call it)? leaves
continue to grow, as weather permits.

The "vernalization needed" gene is a recessive, that turns off flowering
signal, or put anopther way, inhibits flowering.? When not homozygous,? the
"stop flowering"?? signal is turned off. So now flowering can proceed.

The "Stop flowering " signal? can only work? if in a homozygous condition.
That is all genes are? the same, or similar enought (various vernalization
alleles that will work together) .

For more detalis look up "MADS-Box genes and flowering"? on the web.? Warning,
it is a hard go, and will need several re-reads. But if you are looking fo?
the complex answers, they are found there.

Here is one link to look at.

http://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/~mcclean/plsc731/flower/flower7.htm

Chuck Chapman