RE: Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
  • From: "Steve Szabo" <steve@familyszabo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 00:38:56 -0500

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=961
http://tinyurl.com/4osz6c4

The above link is an article about blacks. It does mention the infertility
of certain black females but says nothing about a short lifespan of certain
blacks.

For those who have an interest in genetics, but really don't want to get
into reading about fish, here is a table from the article. I hope the
formatting holds enough to make this readable for everyone.

Male Parent		Female Parent			Offspring
Melano		Red					100% Multicolor
(melano genotype)
Melano		Multicolor (melano genotype)	50% Melano, 50% Multicolor
(melano genotype)
Melano		Melano				Melano females are infertile
Multicolor 		Blue					100%
Multicolor (50% melano genotype)
(melano genotype)
Multicolor 		Multicolor (melano genotype)	25% Melano, 75%
Multicolor (67% melano genotype)
(melano genotype)

Melano here is the black. Note the use of the word genotype. This signifies
that the fish carries the proper gene to produce blacks, but it may not be
expressed in any way, or it could be expressed in a manner that allows for
some black coloration, maybe in certain ways,

Chuck,

There are supposed to be some articles on blacks in Aquarium Digest
International, if you are familiar with the publication. I believe I have
nearly a complete set of this publication stored away somewhere, and will
need to look for them, if I have the time this weekend (I am also working on
an e-mail migration this weekend that needs to be done by Monday night, so
my time is limited). I have just received an e-mail address for Gene Lucas
(the one I had was no longer valid) though the person who gave it to me is
not sure if it is still valid either. I'll shoot off an e-mail to him
tomorrow (well, today) and see if it is valid, and what he may have to say
about the subject. I think it was FAMA that had a column by Gene as well,
though I do not have a complete collection of those magazines. I also have
gotten the e-mail address of a current IBC judge who has worked with blacks
for years.

Interesting side note: you may know or heard of Schmidt-Focke who was famous
for his discus. His true love, actually, was bettas.

\\Steve//