Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: rebloom genetics
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:30:07 -0500

 I would tend to agree with Betty on this. Although I call the California (or
Warm? climate rebloomers) preferential vernalization? reblomers.

Your conditions are so differerent than mine? that I can only offer a guess.

I'm assuming that your flower beds don't have? suplimental light in fall/early
winter.? This is based on the fact that? in California, ther can be a lot of
rebloom in dec/Jan when? there is suplimental light.

I suspect that what is happening, is that by the time you get? the cooler
weather you need for rebloom, that the natural light is so short, that the
plants can't be triggered into bloom. So you get? lots of plant growth. So
that when spring comes, you have? many fans in various states of growth, that?
bloom as they reach sixe to bloom.

These can basically be any of the? differrent? rebloom types. But I would
suspect proabilities are? fall cyclic and preferential? vernalization
(California rebloomers)? tied, followed by summer rebloomers.

Best bet in evaluating what type of rebloomer your seedlings are? would be to
have someone in a differerent climate grow these seedlings, and see what they
do for them.

I would suggest?? looking at your daily temperature records, lows and
maximums. co-ordinate this with? maturity of? fans, trigerbud set
temperatures? and rebloom.?? this wll help deceide what is rebloom trigger,
and thus what type you have.

But based on the parents, I suspect , as Betty said. Caifornai rebloomers.

Are the clumps of these? rebloomers currently showing a number of fans in
various states of? development? I would strongly suspect? so.

Chuck Chapman