Re: HYB: TB: Anton Mego's new irises
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: TB: Anton Mego's new irises
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 08:08:01 -0500

Anybody know (more or less) what climate type Slovakia most resembles in the US?

And what kind of growing conditions he has for selection of his seedlings - i.e., irrigated or not, good or poor air circulation (valley vs slope), erratic freezes or not, etc?

I always try to guess from the parents how well new introductions might do here, but I can't tell from these. Some I've tried to grow, and while they didn't do well enough to be fertile growing out in the gravel/drought/fog/dew/flood, they probably could have been used for breeding if protected & grown in pots. & therefore some strong seedlings for here would be possible.

Trying not to get too carried away by the pretty faces ;-)

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7