Re: Decadence
  • Subject: Re: Decadence
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 13:21:29 -0500 (EST)

I bought Decadence straight from Blyth in 2004. It put up a stalk in 2005 and the stalk rotted off at the ground. Gorgeous. Stalk opened all blooms in a vase inside. I dug the plant and moved it to a 3 gallon pot. Then I got Decadence as a misidentified Merchant Marine the next year, so I've been growing it in two pots. Now, I've moved part of it back to my new perennial bed, which was amended with greensand, rock phosphate & lime. Little composed manure. Looking good but time will tell the story. Another piece still in a pot.

My goal is to upgrade bloom form in my rebloomers. Even if Decadence never blooms again, I have accomplished my goal. Most are not keeper quality, but it only takes one! Also, I have been happy with the children I've produced using other Blyth irises.

At the current pace, Decadence stands a chance of being the most used TB in iris history. Or so it seems. All of the well known hybridizers are using it. It's my hope that people are electing for plant strength.

If my goal was different, I might not continue to grow it.

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KY