Re: TB: Decadence
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: TB: Decadence
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 15:21:38 -0500

I used to value various introductions strictly for garden value, and several of the medal winners have little or no garden value (i.e., they either die or barely live) in my difficult growing conditions.

But some of these same cultivars pass along bloom traits that are especially desirable. & given how much it was being used by others who have been getting really gorgeous results, I definitely wanted to try adding genes from DECADENCE to the mix.

So it's taken me awhile, but now I really value the awards system for recognizing the best under ideal growing conditions for that cultivar, not necessarily the best for all (or even most) gardens. & clearly, DECADENCE can be spectacular in suitable growing conditions.

So far, DECADENCE hasn't mixed well (form, health) with my kids in the first generation, esp compared to something like TREASURED, but the color range has been impressive. & given how good it looks and the offspring it's producing elsewhere, it seems deserving.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7