Re: Decadence
  • Subject: Re: Decadence
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 17:40:35 -0500 (EST)

Seedling selection is the key. Weak parents can produce some strong plants, just as two short seedlings will sometimes produce tall seedlings. It's how the genes line up.

My seedling selection may be different than others. For health reasons, I can't plant everything that germinates. Only the strongest are planted. If I like what I get, I'll go back and plant the strongest that are left in the pots. Still, I rarely plant all of a cross. This past spring I planted 3-6 more from several of the 2006 crosses. I'd rather plant half a dozen from ten crosses than sixty from one cross. Usually.

To be Decadence specific--That first spring my options were limited. Obviously I couldn't use Decadence as the pod parent since the stalk rotted off. Nothing I wanted to use with it was open so I put it on one of my dark purple reblooming seedlings, 1917-01Re. It took. The seeds were sitting in the pots during the spring of 2007. One seedling sprouted early and showed good plant qualities (as much as a new seedling can). Nine more sprouted after the freeze, but none showed the strength of that seedling. I tagged it so I could follow it once I put it in the garden. It has remained the star. It grew tall, well branched, multiple budded etc. Nearly perfect. One had better form with overlapping falls but it was very short and never regained height. In fact, there was only one other seedling, which didn't bloom for a couple of years, that even came close to 2128-01. Still, 01 has more distinct colors. It's rate of growth and plant health is good. It's bloomed each year, and sets pods.

As much as I like this seedling, it still doesn't have the form people look for in non rebloomers. It's not bad, just not perfect. Can be seen in my photo albums on FaceBook. It looks much like Louisa's Song. This year I crossed 2019-03 (Lunar Whitewash x Romantic Evening) onto it. Great form and color, no height. Five pods with 241 seed. Maybe I'll plant them all! Or not.

This process has been extrememly educational for me. There are other examples.

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KY