RE: Decadence
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: Decadence
  • From: "Tom Waters" <irises@telp.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 19:36:19 -0700

> So, I'll go back to my previous question, why does any iris with obvious
> problems climb the award ladder?

Hi Dana. It's long been my opinion that the single greatest problem with
the awards system is that it simply *counts* the number of judges who vote
for an iris, rather than capturing the average assessment of all judges who
are familiar with the iris. Suppose an iris is evaluated by 100 judges in
different regions, all of whom are impressed enough to vote for it. Now
suppose another iris is evaluated by 500 judges around the country, and for
400 of them it does not do well at all. But for the remaining 100 (who
perhaps live in the similar climate conditions), it is impressive enough to
vote for. These are two very different things, but the two irises will both
receive 100 votes and be treated the same by the awards system. Irises bred
by popular hybridizers have a big advantage, and not just because of
"politics", but because the irises from popular hybridizers are grown by
more people, and an iris grown by a large number will get more votes than
an iris grown by only a few, even if just a fraction of those growing it
actually rate it highly.

I would prefer a system where judges rated each iris on a scale (1 to 5,
say), and awards given to irises with the highest average rating from the
judges who actually evaluated that iris. This would address so many
problems, and it could be easily tweaked to achieve other worthy goals,
such as requiring a high average rating from judges in different climate
areas.

Tom Waters

Telperion Oasis ~ www.telp.com/irises

Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA (zone 5/6)