Re: Decadence
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Decadence
  • From: DWiris@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 12:22:27 -0500 (EST)

Hi Tom,

Your suggestions make a lot of sense.

Dorothy Willott

In a message dated 1/8/2012 9:43:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
irises@telp.com writes:

> So,  I'll go back to my previous question, why does any iris with obvious
>  problems climb the award ladder?

Hi Dana. It's long been my opinion  that the single greatest problem with
the awards system is that it simply  *counts* the number of judges who vote
for an iris, rather than capturing  the average assessment of all judges
who
are familiar with the iris.  Suppose an iris is evaluated by 100 judges in
different regions, all of  whom are impressed enough to vote for it. Now
suppose another iris is  evaluated by 500 judges around the country, and
for
400 of them it does  not do well at all. But for the remaining 100 (who
perhaps live in the  similar climate conditions), it is impressive enough
vote for. These  are two very different things, but the two irises will
both
receive 100  votes and be treated the same by the awards system. Irises
bred
by popular  hybridizers have a big advantage, and not just because of
"politics", but  because the irises from popular hybridizers are grown by
more people, and  an iris grown by a large number will get more votes than
an iris grown by  only a few, even if just a fraction of those growing it
actually rate it  highly.

I would prefer a system where judges rated each iris on a scale  (1 to 5,
say), and awards given to irises with the highest average rating  from the
judges who actually evaluated that iris. This would address so  many
problems, and it could be easily tweaked to achieve other worthy  goals,
such as requiring a high average rating from judges in different  climate
areas.

Tom Waters

Telperion Oasis ~  www.telp.com/irises

Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA (zone  5/6)