Re: Awards votes
  • Subject: Re: Awards votes
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 15:39:02 -0800 (PST)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a time limit on earning a
Dykes Medal?   I'm thinking there's a ten year window between the time they
are introduced and the time the name drops off the ballot.  How then is it
possible for a poor grower to reach wide enough distribution that "everybody"
knows it is a poor grower before the DM vote is cast?  If progeny begin to
appear on the market the following year, how can an average grower not presume
that candidate is a good parent?  A longer life span on the ballot might be
all that is necesary for the cream to rise.

If you want logical scoring
systems I'm sure we could find useful elements in the scoring of antler racks
and Dressage Horses.  I doubt it's the obvious flaws in the awards system that
causes the drooping membership.  I suspect cultural factors. Fewer people have
yards large enough for gardening interests and those that do are rapidly
aging.  Economics also plays a role.  For example, I don't have a current
membership because it was a luxury I could not afford when it came due.  If I
wasn't interested in the breeding I probably wouldn't even hope to renew it.
Build a better awards system if that's what irises need to improve irises.
Build a better awards system so that our best irises are truly our best
irises.  It would be detrimental to build a better judging system just to
attract new members.

Eugene Baxley <baxleyeugene@yahoo.com>