Re: iris DIGEST V1 #1388
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: iris DIGEST V1 #1388
  • From: chad schroter <charlesschroter@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 13:22:47 -0800 (PST)

Wow, just wow.  So far apparently Australia and "their" Iris are
responsible for the downfall of the AIS...

Decadence is a wonderful and
distinctive Iris which grows fabulously for many people. It's not to blame for
the judging system or for current trends in Horticulture clubs. More likely
the opposite IMHO.

Is this the first Dykes candidate to be a poor grower in
some regions - I think not
Is this the first Dykes candidate to have a major
fault - ditto again..
Is this the first Dykes candidate to
be undistinguished and similar to previous iris....but I repeat myself..
Awards do not increase membership in themselves - I can't think of a single
way they would.

Good Publicity does...and a good product like the bulletin
which is excellent BTW.

The complaints I hear about Decadence could easily
be applied to ALL of the TB Iris in general.  Show me an Iris that grows
everywhere,  that is not a dog, and is borer proof, and reblooms, and doesn't
need good soil, and can grow in competition with other perennials, and does
not suffer from leaf spot, or rot in bad drainage....

Gardenworthyness is
key if you want to stay popular, fewer gardeners want to grow Iris as a crop
in rows.

Chad Schroter