Re: TB: awards - Decadence
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: TB: awards - Decadence
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 07:51:13 -0500

Excellent point, Chad - although I disagree that it applies to ALL TBs. The reason I started breeding TBs is because - about 2 out of 10 that I was purchasing would live long enough here to bloom for me. I still grow about a dozen of the hundreds of 'new' irises I bought 30+ years ago. Have never gotten rid of a survivor, tho many have died along the way. The vast majority of those long term survivors are Zurbrigg introductions, which is why I have chosen to use them as the foundation for my breeding program.

I think the awards system currently works pretty well for identifying/rewarding irises that are significant to the iris world, which usually means they are important in advancing excellence in some way. Not all Dykes medal winners have had a major impact on future generations, but many have, and, as Betty pointed out, DECADENCE sure looks like it's going to be one of those irises.

It's up to breeders in more marginal growing areas than Oz to combine those award winning genes with irises durable in our crappy climates & produce the more durable garden plants. Not something that can easily be done in one generation, but I'm starting to see it in the 2nd and 3rd generations. Maybe using some of its more durable kin than the award winner itself.

Changing the award system to promote the most durable PLANTS would certainly slow down the evolution of all the fancy new colors and patterns and forms that come from Oz, CA and OR (i.e., iris heaven). Is that really what anybody wants? As more than one iris breeder has said to me, most gardeners aren't trying to grow irises for the foliage.

I still think promoting the popularity poll (and somehow getting more people to participate) by <regions> would serve AIS well for helping the general public make selections of irises that are more likely to do well in their gardens, which in turn might spur membership. Also promoting most popular HIPS selections by regions as well.