Re: Re: TB: awards - Decadence
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Re: TB: awards - Decadence
  • From: Dana Brown <ddbro@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 06:11:35 -0800 (PST)

Linda,
    I think you are confused.  The Dykes (and other medals) were and
are not
supposed to reflect the potency of an iris as a parent or it's
contributions to
future generations.  The entire awards system was set up to
evaluate an iris's
(as a total plant, not just a flower) performance in the
garden.  The idea is to
choose those plants that perform well and
consistently as hardy perennials and
reward them for that.  There are zero
points available for progeny and only 25
for flower, less than for the plant
or the stalk.  The award system is not
designed to showcase new color or
patterns (distinctiveness is only 10 points)
although they are appreciated
and enjoyed.  The awards system IS set up to honor
durability (among other
things) in the plant and the flower.  Maybe we
should not only have a Dykes
but a report of what won the most votes in each
region.  That might help to
determine which iris would do well in CA and which
might do well in east TN.
Dana

Dana Brown
ddbro@sbcglobal.net