Re: awards, "Decadence"
  • Subject: Re: awards, "Decadence"
  • From: Adam Cordes <adambo_iris@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:01:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

Great points, Tom.  We definitely want to encourage new colors
and varieties, but do we want to compromise
the integrity of an iris receiving the "highest award" it can
achieve without being among the star growers of the iris world?

Aren't judges warned in the handbook against voting for an iris that has
"the look" but not the rest of the important features of being the best?

I think the only way an Iris can climb the awards ladder
and still be poor in 30% (benefit of the doubt) of it's growing regions
is if it is outstanding at the National Convention and Regional Meetings
where judges meet to see irises that have had as close to perfect growing
conditions as possible.

Have we enough resources left in our members to have extra viewing gardens in regions
without the extra pampering?  The only way is to grow them ourselves rather than rely
on getting to all the conventions.

Has anyone priced out the difference of a) growing one of every variety for 2 years from
a region trek versus b) attending the trek itself?  I'm not even going to try!

Please take what I have typed with a grain of salt ... I am still addicted
happily to irises and TB's, and will keep trying them.
But I'm also going to hybridize for my climate like Linda and Betty are!  Good work, Ladies!

Linda writes:

Changing the award system to promote the most durable PLANTS would
certainly slow down the evolution of all the fancy new colors and
patterns and forms that come from Oz, CA and OR (i.e., iris heaven).  Is
that really what anybody wants?

I don't believe this is true. Those exciting new colors and magnificent
blooms are what sell. Hybridizers will not stop breeding them just because
the awards system shifts in the direction of durability. The person buying
irises from a catalog or web site can already see for themselves if a new
variety has a spectacular color or pattern. If the AIS awards are to add
any value above and beyond what the shopper can already see in the catalog
pictures, that added value has to be a recognition of superior plant and
stalk qualities.

Tom Waters