AIS: Time window for receiving the Dykes
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: AIS: Time window for receiving the Dykes
  • From: Adam Cordes <adambo_iris@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:22:31 -0800 (PST)

Hello!
A comment was posted regarding a "time window" for an iris receiving the Dykes
Medal.

There is a window, and Jody Nolin of Region 6 came up with a splendid graph
that every judged should have!  And, it is not just 10 years after
introduction.

There are 6 "windows" in the road for the Dykes.  3 for Bearded irises, and 3
for Beardless irises.

For *bearded* iris,
Normal eligibility is 12 years after introduction.
Fastest path is in 6 years.
Longest path is 15 to 18 years after intro. (!)

For *beardless* iris, it is much longer, all around.
Normal, is eligibility in 13 years.
Fastest is in 7 years.
Longest is 16 to 19 years after it has been introduced. (!!)

So, it is possible to slow down the train on varieties that get awards, but
don't seem to grow well in most climates.

Adam~

Posters,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a time limit on earning a
Dykes Medal?   I'm thinking there's a ten year window between the time they
are introduced and the time the name drops off the ballot.  How then is it
possible for a poor grower to reach wide enough distribution that "everybody"
knows it is a poor grower before the DM vote is cast?