Re: Decadence and the AIS awards system
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Decadence and the AIS awards system
  • From: "Dave Silverberg" <sil1812@molalla.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:43:59 -0800

I am about to make what may be a major faux pas (read open mouth - - - insert foot!)

According to AIS Iris Register Decadence was co-introduced by both Keppel and Blyth in 2004. According to the current Judge's Handbook (2007 edition) quote "The Dykes Medal for America is awarded annually by the British Iris Society through the American Iris Society, and is restricted to irises FIRST introduced in the U.S. or Canada REGARDLESS of origin." end quote (The caps are mine and only first is underlined in the Handbook.)

I suppose we could be picky and say that because of dual introduction that is was not specifically introduced in the U.S. BUT, under the rules governing the awarding of the Dykes Medal, at the time of introduction, it may be argued that its introduction in the U.S. in 2004 did indeed meet the requirements for being awarded the Dykes Medal should the AIS judges vote it the award since the Handbook (in 2007) is silent on the point of dual introduction.

I can't say that Decadence has always performed well for me. When first acquired it didn't seem to like where it was planted. Two years later I transplanted it into another bed about 15 feet away. It is now performing up to what I deem to be its potential for an award winning iris.

Dave Silverberg

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michhle BERSILLON" <auxiris5@orange.fr>