Re: Decadence and the AIS awards system
  • Subject: Re: Decadence and the AIS awards system
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:47:35 -0500 (EST)

Decadence is just an example of a broken system, not the problem. It was the award system that was under discussion, with Decadence just an example.

We need an award system that selects award winners that represent the best of the current iris. the ones that are the best and do well in a wide variety of places.

An award system that doesn't pick a plant with a pretty flower that does well only in limited areas.

A system, that when people choose iris based on awards, they have success, and then say, "Wow, I want to grow more of these" Not say, "If the best don't do well for me, then I'm not going to grow any more of these. I think I'll grow daylillies ( or what ever) instead"

Membership grows when people are excited by a plants success in their own garden.

Chuck Chapman