Re: Decadence and the AIS awards system
  • Subject: Re: Decadence and the AIS awards system
  • From: John Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:34:34 -0800

I think some clarification is in order here. What Dave has said about the origin of an iris in regards to its eligibility for the Dykes award is true, however the AIS Board realized that it was in error and at the Fall 2009 Board meeting reaffirmed the following:

"The American Dykes Medal is awarded annually by the British Iris Society through The American Iris Society and is restricted to irises first ORIGINATED  AND INTRODUCED IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA.  Irises originated elsewhere, although not eligible for the American Dykes Medal, are eligible for other AIS awards provided that the iris was first introduced in the United States or Canada."  <capitalization added by me>

The Judges Handbook has not yet been updated to reflect this. Thus DECADENCE is not eligible for the American Dykes.

At the same meeting they also adopted the following:

That the Handbook for Judges and Show Officials (page 24), under the modified HONORABLE MENTION AWARD, in keeping with the original intent of SIGNA the words "...and bearded SPEC and SPEC-X" be deleted.