Hi Terry Johnson,
    I read your comments on decadence with interest. To me
it does not make a whit of difference where an iris comes from. It is it's
performance in my garden that counts and Decadence did not perform even
mimally in my garden. Obviously it did not perform in many gardens in the
United States. We are not picking on Barrry Blyth. We are picking on
Decadence. If it did not perform well in so many gardens in the US our system
of awards comes into question because Decadence got many awards we think it
should not have had. I believe our system of awards needs to be changed. Iris
hybridized by both Keppel and Ghio with small leaves, small stems, small
rhizomes and outstanding blooms, when you could get a bloom, were removed from
my garden in the same way that Decadence was removed becuse they did not
perform. They are not up for the Wister medal or the Dykes medal. They will
never be up for the Dykes medal because their time has run out. I have other
 iris from other hybridizers that have turned out the same way and they are
nonperforming the same way Decadence was. They will get the same treatment
Decadence got after the next bloom season if there is not significant
improvement in them.
    I have nine iris from Blyth and some from both Ghio
and Keppel. They have been here awhile and I hope they stay. I will continue
to buy iris, but I have learned to be much more careful about my purchases
because I have to eat the cost of those iris when they have to be eliminated
in the second year or later. Thus, there will be no dollar per rhizome to you
for US iris that do not do well Mr. Johnson. You will just have to eat the
cost, as we do, for bad iris from any source.
Again I want to say, WE ARE NOT
E. Baxley
To all readers of Iris Talk:
All who are
dissatisfied with our awards system in the American Iris Society should write
a letter to the Priesident of the American Iris Society and tell him so that
he can relay your complaint to the Board of Directors. Nothing will ever get
done if we do not notify them that we are not satisfied.
        Hugh Stout,
AIS President
        432  NE 70th St.
        Oklahoma City, OK 73105-1210
        Phone:(405) 843-7130
        E-mail    stoutgarden@cox.net
further note: Decadence was number 7 in the 2010 in the Tall Bearded Iris
Syposium Vote, but was number 19 in the 2011 vote.