Re: Decadence and the AIS awards system
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Decadence and the AIS awards system
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:16:29 -0500 (EST)

Several hybridizers have made crosses in the gardens of Barry Blyth. It's my understanding that he mails the seed to the hybridizers once they've been harvested. Barry also makes crosses in some US gardens. Common practice.

One thing that should be remembered is that these seed are planted and grown in the US, and the selection process happens under the conditions of the selector's garden. This does not make them better just different.

This practice of friendly sharing is a good thing! I like to think it improves the future of irises.

<<May I ask just what will happen if the Iris
featured this year on the Cover of Mid America Gardens 2012  Catalog
makes it to the Dykes Medal run off? This Iris, aptly named under these
circumstances  'Darling Deception' and introduced by Tom Johnson was
bred "from crosses I made while in Australia". Sdlg.TB127B: By Jeeves X
(Hold My Hand x Brave Face).  The mind boggles.>>

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KY
autmirislvr@aol.com