Re: HYB: hybridizer sib crosses (was speaking of pedigrees)
  • Subject: Re: HYB: hybridizer sib crosses (was speaking of pedigrees)
  • From: Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 06:07:47 -0500 (EST)

The easiest way to find similar crosses of a particular cultivar is pretty easiy really.

For eample let's take 'Azul'.  you may beinterested in beacuse of somequality it has or it's parentage.

(Riddle, R. 1956) Sdlg. G 24A. TB, 46" (117 cm), M
French blue self (Wilson 43/2). Snow Flurry x Chivalry.

Then it is a simple matter of copying "Snow Flurry x Chivalry" into the irisregister search box and put Parentheses around it like so ... (Snow Flurry x Chivalry).  This will pull up all crosses with the parentage of Snow Flurry (as pod parent) x Chivalry (as pollen parent).  If you switch them around and put parenthesis around them you get the reverse sibs of the same parents.  Be sure the check the third box in the "Search Description".  this search will not however catvch Registrations without the actual parentage listed, but instead of something "sib to Azul" .  You could then search for those words in parenthesis as well as (Azul sib). You could also do a search for 'Snow flurry as pod parent only by typing (Snow Flurry x).

If you just want TB's type TB and check the middle box.  Hybrider the same way.

This search is also dependent on the the parents being spelled correctly.  An example would be 'Katherine Fay' (with an e) and 'Katharine Fay' (with an a).  The proper spelling is with an a, but there are plenty of parentages listed with both.  For now just will have to discover some of these errors for yourself until the kinks are worked (yes, I'm am keeping a running list to submit to the Register).

You can also look Registrations up by sdlg. number.  Once you have one cultivar and it has a seedling number it was registered with you can look for other Registrations with a similar sdlg. code.  Many hybridizers use a numbering or lettering code to keep track of their seedlings.  Ghio, Blyth, Keppel are the best examples that do this.  But you need to recognize the pattern that they number with to type in the base code.

So for example type (Blyth and A44-) and check the middle box in the search paremeters.  This will pull up every Blyth Intro with sdlg. number beginning with A44- .  If you check third box as well you will get unnamed seedlings used in parentages that are also A44- .  However, this is not foolproof since sometimes the Registry entry person typed A-44- instead and that will not pull up in the search.  You just have to play with it a little.  You also have to becareful because some Hybridizers codes are not uniform, not even remotly consistent, or are based on the year it bloomed (not parentage), or some other criteria only they know.  So, you have to pull up each entry and check it out until you get a feel for their scheme... if there is one.

That should get you started.