Daring Deception
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Daring Deception
  • From: Eugene Baxley <baxleyeugene@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 16:09:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi Betty Wilkerson and all iris talk participants,
    I cannot speak for
anyone else about what would happen to any particular iris that is competing
for the Dykes medal.
I can however speak for myself. If I purchase Daring
Deception and it does well or semi well in my garden, I would have no
objection to it's award of the Dykes medal. Some others where it did not do
well might object to the award. I did not object to Decadence based upon
geographic origin and I don't think I will object to any iris based on
geographic origin in the future. A good iris is a good iris wherever it's
origin. I objected to Decadence based upon it's nonperformance here in my
garden. Many people responded in the negative when asked if Decadence did well
for them.
    I think the rules for AIS awards needs to be revised, not to
keep foreign iris out of the competition, but to help insure that the
candidates perform well in a large majority of US gardens when competeing for
the Wister medal and the Dykes medal. To that end I believe competitors for
the Wister Medal and the Dykes medal should be required to garner a plurality
of votes cast in at least seventy-five per cent of the AIS regions then they
should be required to have received a plurality of the sum of all votes cast
by the regions. And I believe judges should be required to have had the Wister
and/or the Dykes candidate in their garden for two years or be barred from
voting for it. It is my belief that many judges vote from photographs or from
the bloom only that they have seen in a tour garden or other garden. About
this latter I may be wrong and to all whom I may have offended, I am sorry if
I am wrong.
    This would not insure that a nonperforming iris would not be
selected, but it might help. There are other theories about that might work.
    With this I have had my say and I have only one other thing to do related
to this subject and that is to write a letter to Judy Keisling in as
nonoffending way as I can to relay my feelings on the matter. As one person
said, "It comes up about every two years and nothing is ever done about it".
Nothing will be done this time if AIS is not informed of your feelings.
    Making poorly performing iris Dykes medal winners does definitely cause
loss of membership in the AIS. Young people are very disallusioned when an
iris that has gotten the highest award we offer is a flop in their garden.
Many dirft away.

      E. Baxley