CULT:poor performing irises.(was Daring Deception)
  • Subject: CULT:poor performing irises.(was Daring Deception)
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:36:23 -0500 (EST)

<<Hi Betty Wilkerson and all iris talk participants,>>

In response:

There will always be some irises that do not prosper in all gardens. This is not the first time this subject has created tension among the iris talk listers. It is clear we can not publicly discuss this subject.

Just for the record, I have nothing negative to say about anyone. Eugene, I was not addressing my comment to you. Ibm sorry if you took it that way. I have great respect for those who choose to remove poor performing irises from their gardens. Why not? The space can be better utilized with other cultivars. It just seems we can not mention those cultivars by name without creating controversy.

If I were just collecting and showing irises, my buying pattern would be different. There is a good chance I would simply pass up anything I thought might be a problem, just as I once did. Do I wish there was some way I could know in advance if an iris will prosper in my garden? Sure I do. I donbt really like wasting money. Personally, Ibve spent a lot of time in the iris register and Ibve got a pretty good idea of what I can expect from a given iris, even before I pay my money for it. Sometimes Ibm wrong. Sometimes Ibm wrong in a good way. After serious consideration, I determined that the only way I can get genes I want into my irises is to take a few chances.

Many hybridizers have passed through Region 7 in the past 25+ years and I learned something from most of them. Ibve long admired the work of many hybridizers, including Joe Ghio, Keith Keppel, & Barry Blyth. They are fine people and giving of their time and ideas. The same was true of Ben Hager, Monty Byers, Dr. Zurbrigg, Dr. R. Smith and others Ibve been in contact with throughout the past 25 years. Though I must say Ibm extra fond of Dr. Raymond Smith!

NOTE: This is a general statement and not focused on any particular list member.

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KY