OT-REF: boolean search engine?
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: OT-REF: boolean search engine?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 10:09:14 -0500

Most of the time, I'm satisfied with Google, tho it sometimes takes some bullying to get it to cooperate. But sometimes, ever since they changed the way it searches, it makes so many arbitrary decisions about what I 'ought' to be searching for, I have a hard time forcing it to look for what I really want.

Example - my sister asked me what a 'gulf' is, as in Savage Gulf. (it's an "abyss" - deep cove, in this case, sandstone cliff surrounded 'gouge' in the Cumberland Plateau).

Being a curious person, I wondered about the origin of the term, also wondered if it was used in other regions or just in TN. So I searched for <gulf Kentucky>. Google absolutely refused to believe I wasn't searching for <golf kentucky>, didn't even bother to ask me the usual 'did I mean'.

The old version of Google had an advanced search option where I could force it to include all the terms I asked for. Now, if I give it too many search words, it just picks one it likes and gives me a bunch of crap results.

Is there another search engine that has the option of using Boolean logic to search for stuff? i.e., only give results that has <all> of my search words?

grumpy Linda Mann
east TN zone 7b