Re: CULT: Bloom Out

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

"Michael D. Greenfield" asks

>Could someone explain it for me.

Someone else will have to settle question of one word or two. I looked in a
few books but came up empty.

An iris is said to bloom out when the rhizome puts out a bloomstalk but
fails to set vegetative increases and then the rhizome withers or rots and
dies. We only get one bloom from each rhizome. Once that's done, the
rhizome had better have made vegetative babies or the cultivar will vanish
from the garden.

>I have planted iris and not had bloom for two years then(10 or more
>rhizomes , not just one). Lots the  next year. Is it temporary or permanent
>?
This happens. Different cultivars react to transplantation differently.
Ideally if you plant an iris in the summer, you should get bloom the next
spring; but some cultivars want another year to acclimate. Climate,
weather, light exposure and soil nutrition also can play a role in how many
flowers one gets.

>Another question. I have seen remarks about several bloom stalks from one
>plant. Is that from one fan? Or from one rhizome with several fans?

The party line holds that we get one and only one stalk from each rhizome.
So usually when people talk about more than one stalk coming on an iris,
they mean coming from its clump. But -- please don't yell at me, folks, I
have SEEN this -- every so often you'll see some weird mutation in which it
sure as heck looks as though there are two stalks emerging from the same
growth point.

I saw this mutant growth in the late spring on a rhizome of RECURRING
DREAM, which put out one normal-size stalk and right beside it -- same
rhizome -- a pencil-size stalk that grew about two feet tall and branched
once.

I studied on it pretty hard and concluded that the pencil-size stalk was
really just a very, very early branch off the main stalk, one that split
away immediately above the growth point. But I didn't dissect the rhizome.
Maybe it was two separate stalks.

We saw all kinds of oddness in Little Rock last spring, including a mutant
growth of baby rhizomes atop a stalk of DREAM LOVER -- instead of a bloom.
There was a spathe, but instead of a flower there was a circlet of all
these little baby rhizomes. Weird.

celia
mailto:storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level, Little Rock soils are often acid, sandy loam, rocky
average rainfall about 49 inches (more than 60" in '97, but less than 42"
in '98)
High humidity, moderate winters, hot summers; but conditions seesaw
Extreme recorded temps: HI 110 F, LO -13 F