R; CULT Bloom out

From: "Michael D. Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>

Thanks Celia you have explained bloom out very clearly. I have never
noticed it if has happened to me, but I haven't been that observant till
this year. I have iris growing for 27+ years. Never got any new ones just
dug and thinned every 5 or 6 years. Other interest were more compelling
(really).

Started getting new ones about 9 years ago. I practiced the philosophy of "
if it works do it " Could not find that much info on growing iris. ( Sure
different now thanks to you people and the internet)

I think my bloom problem is that I plant too close. Only have small yard
and want lots of iris. I was saving 15 rhizomes when I dug, now only 5 in
almost the same space. Lets see how that works. I really work at improving
the ground. I have four compost bins that hold 50 cubic feet each. I am
looking forward to bloom time. I will get to see a lot of new iris bloom
plus some from the club I joined. Now my extras won't go in the compost
bin.

Another thing I was doing wrong was digging and planting in October (zone
5). Would even plant ones I bought in November after Thanksgiving. The
mother would rot but the increases would make it. Did not know it was not
normal.
It is unreal the abuse the iris plant will take and still grow.

Snow on the ground and expecting a storm in Southwest Ohio among other
places.

Mike Greenfield
redear@infinet.com
AIS MVIS