CULT: Multiple Stalks

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

> "Michael D. Greenfield" asks
> >Another question. I have seen remarks about several bloom stalks
from one
> >plant. Is that from one fan? Or from one rhizome with several fans?

> From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>
>
> The party line holds that we get one and only one stalk from each
rhizome.
> So usually when people talk about more than one stalk coming on an
iris,
> they mean coming from its clump. But -- please don't yell at me,
folks, I
> have SEEN this -- every so often you'll see some weird mutation in
which it
> sure as heck looks as though there are two stalks emerging from the
same
> growth point.

Vince sez:
   I have seen this twice - once this spring with SPEED LIMIT and a
couple years ago with FANCY TALES. FANCY TALES had suffered trauma
when I, uh, kinda stepped on a large fan in fall. The fan was cracked
at the base, but it didn't completely break off, and it survived the
winter. The following spring, two fans came out of this damaged
rhizome, both of which developed bloomstalks.
   Maybe multiple stalks are the result of damage to the rhizome. I
strongly recommend NOT stepping on all of your fans in an attempt to
stimulate the growth of additional stalks!
   Multiple stalks that are all coming up from the increase are more
common. I had 8 stalks come up from two first year rhizomes of STOLEN
DREAMS this year.

==
Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA  Zone 6
In some cultures, what I do would be considered normal!