CULT: TB: Freeze and Aphids

From: Tammy King <tlking@ap.net>

Hi all~

I'm going into dead panic mode. I'm in Santa Rosa, Ca., and we've had some
really bad freezes several days in a row (weeks actually) and my irises
aren't looking real great.

I've also discovered that what I thought were just a few aphids has turned
into a launching pad for aphids of the world...they've all converged on MY
irises, taken up residence and don't want to move. I tried an eviction
notice, but they're being "squatters".

Now, I've tried the "organic"(?) method of using a hard spray of soap and
water, insecticidal soaps and they're still here in record numbers. They're
deeeeep in the fans, and alllll of my iris fans are turning yellow and have
fallen to the ground.

My Question (s): Is Malathion (I know, I hate to have to use it but am
feeling desperate) safe for irises?? The bottle says "safe for ornamentals,
vegetables and roses". Second, HOW do I get the sprayer to get down into
the fans to kill those little buggers?? These are HUGE aphids, the grey
kind...(they look like they're on steroids!!).

I haven't been able to do much due to the cold weather and illness, but I
have to do something!

ANY help would be greatly appreciated....I lost the bloom stalks on my
newly planted WINESAP and WALTZ ACROSS TEXAS and VICTORIA FALLS...

SOS....
Tammy King
tlking@ap.net
Zone 9, Santa Rosa, California, where the cold just won't let up.