Re: CULT: Bloom Out/Increase from the Bloomstalk

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

> Very, very rarely irises will produce new rhizomes along the bloomstalks.
> I had an I. virginica seedling years ago that did this regularly--every
> leaf on the bloomstalk subtended a little plant, roots and all.
> Bill Shear

	I do not know if climate has anything to do with increase on the
bloomstalk or not, but I can assure you such increase is not rare
here or in Texas.   I was taught to cut out spent bloomstalks by Dr.
Clarence P. Denman and had always followed that procedure until the
'snapping off' procedure was mentioned on the Iris-L last spring.
Out of about ten spent bloomstalks, I 'snapped,' there was increase
on five.  So, if you are increasing stock for registration and
introduction, or you grow irises commercially, watch for increase on
the bloomstalk.  Depending on the time you decide to remove the spent
bloomstalk, you may or may not be able to see the increase.  I will
never 'snap' again.

	Many of the rhizomes sold by Keith Keppel will show the new fan plus
a portion of the mother rhizome showing increase with the bloomstalk
carefully cut out.  Paul Black's plants from OK and Peggy Williams'
from TX also showed bloomstalk increase.  So this happens quite often
in various areas.  I guess it all depends on where you live.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8 (temps. to fall into the teens....brrrrr!P