Re: CULT: LA: stalk propagation, horse snacks

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT: LA: stalk propagation, horse snacks
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 09:20:03 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Dennis Kramb wrote:
> Some of the Louisiana Iris folks were talking about propagating irises this
> way intentionally.  Taking a spent bloom stalk, sticking it in a bucket of
> wet sand and waiting for increases to form.  I didn't understand the entire
> technique, but I intend to find out!

Dennis - do you know if they leave the stalk attached to the plant and
somehow bend it over into a pot of sand or is it a cut stalk?

The ancient foundered horse is losing his teeth & digestion isn't as
efficient, so is able to be back out on pasture for the first time in 15
yrs - doing a good job of weeding the bearded irises, but has chomped
the growing tips out of the Louisianas.  Does anybody know if this is
bad for either the Louisianas or the horse?  Do grazers eat Louisianas
or was he maybe just tasting them?  I can string some electric fence
around if I need to keep him out, but would just as soon not - he won't
be allowed out in that field once lush spring growth of grass starts
(March).

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA