Re: REF: Iris poison

From: "sidneygardener" <sidneygardener@email.msn.com>

Dear Linda,

According to "Dangerous Plants" by John Tampion, Irises are poisonous, but
he only touches on them briefly and does not mention the type of poison. He
does say they cause a burning sensation, but fails to say where how or why.
Probably your horse discovered this after the first munch and maybe he/she
won't try it again.

Tampion does mention that I. versicolor's rhizome can cause dermatitis.

Sidney Gardener
AIS, SIGNA, NMIS, AIG, ASI
Zone 6 Albuquerque, NM