Re: CULT: TB: Freeze and Aphids

From: RYFigge@aol.com

Tammy, I have a half-an-idea for your aphids.  My daughter phoned in a panic
from Princeton about a stain on her marble top table -- so I searched for her
because I knew I had read about this in some book around the house.  In
looking for her, I came across a 1993 edition of Earl Proux's "Yankee Home
Hints" (Yankee MAgazine columnist)  Beside the book was a booklet that was a
sort of ad for some other publication of Proux's (Rodale Publisher) and I
can't find a date and I evidently don't have it.  BUT it gives  bits of odds
and ends and a page reference. and here is one of the ":bits"  : "Adios,
Aphids!  Blend 8 tomato leaves, and 2 cups of water to create a tomato juice
'cocktail' aphids can't stand!  Details, page 208"  Now you see why this is
"half-an-idea" because p 208 in my book is about some furniture problem -- I
have gone through the book page by page and it has all kinds of hints for
bugs, insects, etc but the word "aphid" isn't even in the index!   And in this
part of the country you'd have to wait for spring to find any tomato leaves!
How about trying tea?  or something exotic -- baking powder cocktail?   Really
the "bits" are  just  questions to whet your appetite,  with no real help as
to how-to:  such as  "Control cabbageworms with sour milk! p 207"   and "Mend
a leaky hose with a toothpick!  Really works. p 194"    Sure wish I had that
book!   Maybe you can find it in the library.    Rosalie nr Baltimore
ryfigge@aol.com