Re: CULT: New Year Disaster

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

Well, it is thirty degrees here with a stiff wind blowing, so I was hiding
out in the house instead of working in the yard.  Looked out the window
and discovered ten!! of the neighbors cows in the yard.  Result:

All the LAs which were 2-2 1/2' tall and staying green and growing in
spite of the freezes are now 1/2 to 1" tall and sitting in what looks to be
an exploded mine field.  Spuria ADRIATIC BLUE is also cut down to
a 1" stub, but the other spurias escaped munching.  Not quite as many
holes punched in this bed.  Only bearded eaten was arilbred ANACRUSIS,
but in three beds it looks as if some sort of cow dance has taken place.
direct hits and are now buried about six inches deep.  LATE LILAC took a
direct hit of a different kind - yuck!   My fingers are frozen just from
to repair the LA bed and discovering the top inch is frozen crust.  But I'm
most concerned about the buried bearded rhizomes.  Any suggestions?

On the plus side, all the little oak trees were unscathed... for once.
have a tendency to make scratching posts of them and can wipe out
fifteen years of growth in seconds.  No itches today, I guess.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7 between Abilene and Fort Worth and wishing for about ten
more degrees than we have at the moment.  Did Linda Mann jinx me
with her post about her horse eating the LAs?