OT:CHAT: Millennium Celebration

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

monashee@junction.net wrote:
> From: monashee@junction.net
> > From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
> >
> > > and hotels booked so they could celebrate the coming of year 2000 in five
> > > different places around the world to see the millenium in at five different
> > > time zones!!  :>(   Silly!
> >
> > Especially since they're a year early!
> >
> Right!  Can't anybody count around here?

Well, NIST sez:

When does the next millenium begin?

Since a millennium is 1000 years, the first millennium began at the start of
the year 1 and ended at the end of the year 1000. The second millennium then
began with the year 1001 and will conclude at the end of the year 2000.
Therefore, the next millennium begins with the year 2001.

Which begs the question: was the first year yr 0 or yr 1. In the transition
from BC to AD was there a year zero? Did it belong to BC or AD. I am sure some
scholarly types somewhere have figured this out already, but it would seem
from the NIST position that the first year was year 1. However I seem to
remember refences to year 0 in various places.

Just stirring the pot...

BTW did you know that J. R.R.Tolkien was born on this day in 1892

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:

To reply to me personally click on
Fremont, California, USA