Re: CULT: New Year Disaster

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT: New Year Disaster
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 21:11:36 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Donald Eaves in Texas cattle country wrote:

> But I'm
> most concerned about the buried bearded rhizomes.  Any suggestions?

ROFLOL.  It's been more than 20 yrs since I've had cow stomped plants,
tho there used to be a visiting herd of Hostein dairy cows off and on
back in the old days.  I also had moles then and credit the cow stomping
with actually saving my strawberry patch.  In any case, I agree with the
other comments - probably won't hurt them UNLESS you are in gumbo or
other heavy soil & the stomp holes collect water.

A deer apparently ran thru the electric fence during the Christmas ice
storm and let horsie poo into the 'real' iris patch - I have a few 8
inch deep horse stomp holes (less cut up than cattle stomps), but only
one with a newly planted TB at the bottom - a dead center impact
crater.  It has already produced 4 new post-stomp increases - a Tompkins
toughie.  I guess it's been enjoying the extra protection from the
cold.  From the earlier post about getting multiple bloom stalks from
stomped plants, maybe we should regard these as interesting experiments?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA