Re: OT:CHAT: Millennium Celebration

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

John I Jones wrote:
> Which begs the question: was the first year yr 0 or yr 1. In the transition
> from BC to AD was there a year zero? Did it belong to BC or AD. I am sure some
> scholarly types somewhere have figured this out already, but it would seem
> from the NIST position that the first year was year 1.

Yes. There was no year 0 (either AD/CE or BC/BCE).

> However I seem to
> remember refences to year 0 in various places.

If your memory is correct, then the references were wrong.

> Just stirring the pot...
> BTW did you know that J. R.R.Tolkien was born on this day in 1892

I will sing a hobbit-carol in his honor.

Gerry, with Hand Painted in bloom and 6 stalks of Mesmerizer coming up
mailto:gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles
President of San Fernando Valley Iris Society